Spy Review – Cleveland CG4 – Game Improvement Irons
The Cleveland CG4 Irons are definitely game improvement irons for the beginner golfer and the mid to high handicappers.
The clubheads have a progressive off-set, lower center of gravity and high moment of inertia which works well in getting the ball high and fast at impact.
The large head has a huge sweet spot, and the cavity back design and CMM (Carbon Matrix Material) should help reduce the vibration by absorbing the shock when you hit the ball.
Greg Hopkins, president and CEO of Cleveland Golf said, "These new CG4 irons will now give players of all abilities the same opportunity to enjoy the benefits experienced by our tour staff." He should know, with Cleveland being one of the top producers of golf clubs and accessories on the professional tour.
- High moment of inertia – good elevation and speed at impact
- Improved distance and feel for the player
- True Temper shafts
- Wider sole, larger sweet spot
- Carbon metal mix (CCM) doesn’t absorb vibration for misaligned shots
- Like many other brands, beware of knockoffs/fake
What players are saying about the Cleveland CG4 Irons
- “The feel of the head is buttery soft at impact, mushy with softer balls, harder balls improve distance.”
- “I’m not seeing the distance benefits, possibly it’s the shaft not my correct fit.”
- “I like the small club head, not clunky oversized.”
- “These are fairly forgiving, make for a good swing.”
- “Consistent, slightly longer, more game improvement than traditional blades.”
- “Felt the vibration when I miss-hit, but the distance and direction of the ball doesn’t suffer
- “I don’t hook the ball anymore. These are relatively easy to shoot.”
- “My shots now seem laser guided with the CG4s.”
- “They hit unbelievably soft even on most off-center hits. The feeling of a dead center hit is the best of any game improving iron. They hit straight if you want and, curve when you need it to.”
- “I usually shoot mid 80's to mid 90's. These are 10+ yards longer than my present clubs.”
- “I've been looking to upgrade my beginner set to a set that I can grow into as I get better…this is the best priced, best feeling, best forgiving and best distance all around irons.”
Complete previously owned sets can be found online from golf retailers like Golfsmith for $228 to eBay for $150 plus shipping.
Head: Carbon Metal Matrix
Grip color: Standard Black
Shaft: Graphite or Steel
Dexterity: Right and Left Handed
Player type: Men
Shaft Flex: Regular or Stiff
Originally Retailed $799.99